The 456-step Hero Slope Trail is the best in the Aowanda National Forest Recreation Area to build up your endurance.
Aowanda National Forest Recreation Area covers a wide range, and the trail starting from the visitor center to the Aowanda Suspension Bridge has a total length of about 4.7km, taking 2.5hr for the round trip at normal speed. The trail offers beautiful scenic views, and the enchanting charms of the four seasons along the way are worth seeing, including the Cherry Garden Trail in spring, the Waterfall Zone Trail in summer, the Maple Forest Trail in autumn and winter, and the Bird-watching Platform to see as many birds as possible throughout the year! Besides this, the Hero Slope Trail, the most challenging trail in the area, has a 456-step uphill route that makes you experience leg fatigue. It is suggested that hikers take the easier downhill route from the Bird-watching Platform through the Aowanda Suspension Bridge to the Pine Forest Zone; then, taking the Maple Forest Trail with gentle slopes along the Wanda River on the return, they may stroll back to the visitor center.
The end of each small section of the trail joins the start of the other trail. Along the loop trail, there are well-positioned signs that clearly indicate the direction, comprehensive educational signboards of plant introduction, sounds of birds and bugs everywhere, and the most beautiful everyday scene with sunlight falling through the trees in the forest. The Bird-watching Platform is the other place to relax, taking a rest with a comfortable posture, listening to the most harmonious concert, and watching birds at the best times of dawn and sunset! Continuously hiking on the way uphill, visitors can reach the most popular Aowanda Suspension Bridge, which is the best spot overlooking the magnificence of the South River and the North River as well as the views along the river valley and rock walls; it’s the best location overlooking red maple trees in autumn.
On the other side of the bridge is the Pine Forest Zone with its primitive landscapes, the destination of the trail. In the forest filled with pine trees, enjoying the breeze, lights, and shadows, people can either stand or lay down to spend a relaxing afternoon and keep the little memories of everyday life in the forest through our five senses.
● Administrative Area：Ren’ai Township, Nantou County
● Altitude：1,100 – 2,600m
● Road Condition：Asphalt roads, mountain paths, wooden steps, and a suspension bridge
● Trail Length：4.7km
● Best Time for Hiking：Throughout the entire year
● Scenic Attraction：Aowanda Suspension Bridge, the Bird-watching and the Maple viewing Platforms
● Time Required：3hr (a round trip)
● Route：Visitor Center → Cherry Garden Trail→ Hero Slope Trail→ Maple Forest Trail→ Forest Park Trail Entrance→ Bird-watching Platform→ Forest Classroom→ Aowanda Suspension Bridge→ Forest Park Trail→ Maple Forest Trail→ Wooden Steps→ Visitor Center
● Remarks：The time required includes a guided tour